Medical and Dental Consultantsí Association of Nigeria
Home - About us - Editorial board - Search - Ahead of print - Current issue - Archives - Submit article - Instructions - Subscribe - Advertise - Contacts - Login 
  Users Online: 268   Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 18  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 247-250

Willingness of Saudi dental professionals to treat Hepatitis B virus-infected patients


Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
H Khalil
College of Dentistry, P.O Box 60169, King Saud University, Riyadh -11545
Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1119-3077.151053

Rights and Permissions

Background: Hepatitis B virus (HBV) is considered the most important cross-infection hazard in developing countries. Patients infected with hepatitis virus could encounter difficulties in obtaining dental care. The aim of this study was to investigate the willingness of Saudi dental professionals to treat hepatitis B virus infected patients. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional survey was carried out by distributing 300 questionnaires to Saudi dentists working in 40 government and private dental centers in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The questionnaire included questions related to age, sex, vaccination against HBV, screening for HBV antibody levels, willingness to treat hepatitis B infected patients, and the reasons behind any refusal. A t-test was used to compare the results and a P < 0.05 was considered significant. Results: Of the 300 distributed questionnaires, 274 were collected giving a response rate of 91%. The respondents were 212 males (77.4%) and 62 (22.6%) females. Only 10.2% of the Saudi dentists were willing to treat HB infected patients. The other dentists (89.8%) were unwilling to provide dental care for HB infected patients. Although 94.5% of the surveyed dentists were vaccinated against HBV, the main reason behind the refusal to treat HB infected patients (92.3%) was the risk of cross infection. Conclusion: High percentages of Saudi dentists are unwilling to treat HBV-infected patients due to their apprehension about risk of cross infection. Many of the Saudi dentists do not screen for HBV antibody levels. All vaccinated dentists should carefully monitor their antibody levels to evaluate the need for booster doses. There is a need for educational programs to change the attitude of dentists toward treating HBV-infected patients. The strict adoption of cross infection preventive protocols by dentists will reduce the risk of transmitting infectious diseases in dental clinics as identification of blood-borne infections is not always possible.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1329    
    Printed50    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded283    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 2    

Recommend this journal