Medical and Dental Consultantsí Association of Nigeria
Home - About us - Editorial board - Search - Ahead of print - Current issue - Archives - Submit article - Instructions - Subscribe - Advertise - Contacts - Login 
  Users Online: 1388   Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 22  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 485-491

Locked intramedullary nailing using the sign nailing device


Orthopaedic Surgery Unit, Imo State University Teaching Hospital, Orlu, Imo State, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Dr. I C Nwagbara
P. O. Box 331, Ihiala, Anambra State
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/njcp.njcp_245_18

Rights and Permissions

Objective: Locked intramedullary nailing is the treatment of choice not only in diaphyseal fractures of long bone but also in most metaphyseal and periarticular fractures. In this study, we set out to present our experience with the Surgical Implant Generation Network (SIGN)] technique of locked intramedullary nailing in long bones that do not require the use of image intensifier, fracture table, and power reamers. Patients and Methods: This was a hospital-based prospective descriptive study involving 54 consecutive patients seen over a 2-year period. All closed fractures of the femur and tibia/fibula seen within the period under review were included in the study. The patients were followed up for a minimum of 12 months. Fracture union was recorded when there was absence of pain at fracture site and X-ray shows presence of bridging callus in two orthogonal views. Results: Fifty seven fractures in 54 patients were managed in the period of the study. There were 46 [81%] femoral and 11 [19%] tibia/fibula fractures recorded in 47 [87%] males and 7 [13%] females with a male to female ratio of 6.7:1. Majority of the patients were within the 31--40 years age bracket (n = 25, 46%). All the fractures were as a result of motor vehicle accident. Thirty six (78%) of the femoral fractures were operated through the antegrade approach, whereas the rest (22%) were through the retrograde approach. Both proximal and distal locking were achieved in all cases. Fracture union was recorded in all but one case [98%]. Complications were observed in 8 cases, which included 5 cases of superficial infection, one case each of osteomyelitis, delayed union and nonunion. Conclusion: Locked intramedullary nailing using external jigs for screw placement as in the SIGN technique gives a good result and is recommended for use in the developing countries where image intensifiers are not readily available.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed99    
    Printed1    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded23    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal